birding-aus

Channel Billed Cuckoos

To: "Birding-Aus (E-mail)" <>
Subject: Channel Billed Cuckoos
From: "Mike Simpson" <>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 19:14:06 +1000
Hi All,

I am new to this list, and although in my 60s, I am fairly new to birding in
Australia. I would therefore like some advice. According to my books, the
adult CB Cuckoo is around 60 cms in length, bigger than a Raven. I came
across one in Penrith this week, feeding on a mulberry tree and took some
photos which are on my site at http://members.optusnet.com.au/ozbirds
(click the pictures to see a larger version). However this bird appeared to
be only about the size of a magpie - In this case is it just a small adult,
or is it one of this year's brood? If the latter, then its parents must have
arrived here rather early?

I would also like confirmation that the Kingfisher on that page is a Sacred,
or is it an Azure?

I normally go out early in the morning along the Nepean River in Penrith.
Recent sightings are SCARLET HONEYEATER,  flock of WHITE WINGED TRILLERS,
GOLDFINCHES, EASTERN YELLOW ROBIN (nest and several young), YELLOW RUMPED
THORNBILLS, MISTLETOE BIRD, ROYAL SPOONBILL, WHITE NECKED HERON, PELICAN.

Earlier this year I slipped and fell down the river bank into a clump of
reeds - nearly landed on an Australian Bittern, never realised how big they
are until they flap their wings in your face!

Best regards - Mike
Penrith, NSW, Australia