birding-aus

George and Mildred Beach Stone Curlews breeding in Mackay Qld.!

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: George and Mildred Beach Stone Curlews breeding in Mackay Qld.!
From: "Jon Wren" <>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 22:15:05 +1000
Gooday all,
On the weekend of 11-12 October 2003 World Wide Fund for Nature and the Qld Wader Study Group conducted its third high tide wader count in the Mackay region Queensland. Locations North and South of Mackay were visited by a number of observers and counters.
A highlight of the weekend count was the location of George and Mildred (as confirmed by Desley Williams) a pair of Beach Stone Curlews at Blacks Beach, Mackay, Qld. George? and Mildred? have bred in this location previously and seemed very agitated at our presence with much tail-bobbing and high-pitched single note whistle by one bird. Ian Sutton managed to get a couple of shots with his digital camera but I'm unaware of the quality. From the behaviour exhibited I feel that breeding has taken place and trust that a birder in the Mackay region can follow up the sighting.?

Jon Wren