birding-aus

Superb Lyrebird

To: "jill dark" <>
Subject: Superb Lyrebird
From: "wendy" <>
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:31:53 +1000
Jill,
You are so fortunate. That must have been such a magic experience.
The best I can manage in that line round here is rotten blackbirds!!
The wattlies are busy doing lots of strange stuff searching for insects and
spiders to feed their young and I have even been swooped by one of the
larrikins! (Though my best in this line was one day  years ago when I'd
brought my rooster 'Muckey' (when v young got nacrotic tongue, vet was sure
he'd die, and v bad breath!!! - hence name - tricked vet and is now a very
mature gentleman) and his ladies around to my fromt yard for some grass etc.
The wattlie did a pass BETWEEN muckey's legs (my poor startled rooster
exclaimed and lept in the air!) as if this was not enough, the rat-bag RW
Bird turned and did the same on return! It was a wonder poor Mucky didn't
have a break down or something!!
With your Lyre Birds, it must be a challenge for the chick to keep out of
harms way. When my hens have chicks, the chicks have to learn very quickly
about mums digging and learn to stand in front, or risk being kicked,
showered in stuff, or worse, buried! I have watched SLB feeding in the wild,
and was amazed by the 90- 180 degrees digging field/range, chooks basicaly
only operate in the straight line front to back. baby SLB must have to stand
well out of range or in just the right spot to avoid being 'dug' or are SLBs
more carefull with their chick(s) than chooks??
wendy moore