birding-aus

Rainbow Lorikeets in Orange

To: "'Carol Probets'" <>, "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Rainbow Lorikeets in Orange
From: "Graham" <>
Date: Tue, 7 Oct 2003 13:32:38 +1000
Gidday Carol and Birders,
                                Rainbow lorikeets seem to be bucking the
trend and increasing their range. Growing up in the Lower Blue
Mountains, RL's were only occasional visitors, coming only when the Red
bloodwoods or Turpentines flowered well. Yet over the last 8-10 years
their numbers have exploded to the point that they are always around.
One suggestion was that they were being breed and released by a local
aviculturalist, but I have no proof of this. It seems that their ability
to use planted trees coupled with their long range of travel means they
are well suited to urban environments.

The birds in Orange may be escapees, but they may become established or
others move in from the coast. Only time will tell.

Cheers
Graham Turner
Lapstone, Lower Blue Mountains
About 60km west of Sydney.