birding-aus

Fleurieu Peninsula and northeast of Birdsville info

To: Birding Australia <>
Subject: Fleurieu Peninsula and northeast of Birdsville info
From: Tommy Pedersen <>
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2003 19:47:02 +0400

G'day again downunder.

Hope you are not too tired of my South Australia-RFI's (request for information) . I will of course write a full tripreport of our trip on BIRDING-AUS.

Just to recap; Bruce & I will visit south-central Australia from October 2nd to the 16th.
Route: Adelaide - Kangaroo Island - Ngarkat Conservation Park - Gluepot - Hattah Kulkyne - Sturt N.P. & Grey Grasswren site - Lake Bindegolly - Eulo Bore - Strelecki Track - Willow Springs (Short-tailed Grasswren) - Adelaide.
Looong trip, but excellent outback camping......

Coming back to the mainland (Cape Jarvis) from Kangaroo Island, we will do a bit of birding on the Fleurieu Peninsula on October 4th, looking for a few of the local endemic subspecies.

Key species here are:
Adelaide Rosella
Southern Emuwren
Yellow-faced Honeyeater
Crescent Honeyeater
Eastern Spinebill
Australasian Bushlark
White-plumed Honeyeater

Can anybody help us with a couple of good localities in Fleurieu?

Also:
I'm thinking of driving the other way around/reverse trip.
Adelaide - Willow Springs - Lyndhurst - Marree - Koonchera Dune - Birdsville - Betoota (population 1) - Windorah - Quilpie - Eulo Bore - Sturt N.P. - north end of Strzelecki Track if Letter-winged Kite has eluded us - Fowlers Gap - Mildura - Hattah Kulkyne - Ngarkat - Gluepot - Adelaide.

My question here is: is the road from Birdsville to Quilpie too extreme?
We will be in a Toyota Landcruiser.
Having lived & birded 6 years in Congo (Zaire) I am well experienced with bad roads, but this is maybe too harsh?

Sincerely,

Tommy Pedersen
Dubai
E-mail: