birding-aus

Kookaburras hitting glass

Subject: Kookaburras hitting glass
From: Tad and Jan <>
Date: Tue, 23 Sep 2003 09:07:16 +1000
       I got to your site after searching Google for info on this subject.  The messages I read indicate that its possible that the 'Kookas' are attacking because

1.    They think their reflection is an 'enemy'

2.    They just don't see the glass

3.    They might be trying to fly to whatever is reflected in the glass

For the past week, we have had 2 'Kookas' attacking our windows.  The difference is that these are not clear reflective glass.  We live in a 'Queenslander' with casement windows which are glazed with non see-through glass.  The birds are attacking from places where they cannot see a reflection.  I suspect that someone has been feeding them because they flew through the back door and sat on a bread-maker that happened to be sitting there while we were re-arranging the adjacent room.  Our presence didn't seem to bother them.  Yesterday, we didn't see them, but today they are back and have extended their attacks to include the side of the house when previously they were restricted to the back.  Jan Prasolik