birding-aus

Royal National Park near Sydney

To: Birding-aus <>
Subject: Royal National Park near Sydney
From: N & J Russill <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 09:59:00 +1000
What a great place this is, whether one has all day or just 3 hours like us.
We started off on 16/9 at Allambie Flat with 1 White-winged Triller, several
Yellow-tufted Honeyeaters and Dusky Woodswallows.   Looking up on hearing
the Sulphur-crested Cockatoos calling loudly we saw a pair of  Brown
Goshawks circling in the wind.   Swamphens have young and were busy chasing
off a Great Egret and a Japanese tourist who went too close!  This site is
also a good spot for observing Rock Warblers and the odd Nankeen Night
Heron.   Moving on to Wattle Forest on our walk we saw a young Superb
Lyrebird, looking like a Road Runner with a spiky hairdo, lots of down, only
feathers on the wings and tail.   The female was continually "talking" to
the young one in an unusual tone, while she foraged and it stood like a
statue, being inconspicuous.    Brown Gerygones were attending nests, and
Yellow Robins were feeding their young.   Crested Shriketits, Bassian
Thrush, White-browed and Yellow-throated Scrubwrens and many Scarlet
Honeyeaters were busily feeding within  metres of us, while 6 Topknot
Pigeons watched from above.  Azure Kingfishers were also observed along the
river and many of the usual species seen in this area.  The Satin Bowerbird
Bower has the usual blue objects along with the bright yellow crest feathers
from the SC Cockatoo, usual for this particular bower, has anyone seen this
elsewhere, we can only remember blue tone objects previously   We did not
hear Black-faced Monarchs or many other of the migrants, guess they will be
back shortly.    We had our first Koel this week at home in Peakhurst.
Happy birding    Neil & Judi