birding-aus

Blackall Range Albert Lyrebird

To: Andrew Noosa <>
Subject: Blackall Range Albert Lyrebird
From: Syd Curtis <>
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2003 06:27:33 +1000

Hello Andrew,

        I think that it would be undesirable to introduce lyrebirds to the
Bunya Mts.  Firstly, as a basic principle that one should not interfere with
the natural condition of any national park.  If lyrebirds had once occurred
there, then there might be case for arguing that reintroduction would be
restoring the natural condition, but there is no suggestion that they did in
recent times.  (The Riversleigh lyrebird fossil indicates that lyrebirds
once extended much further north than they do now.)

Secondly it is a particularly interesting area from a biogeographic point of
view and its probable past climatic history.  Even if it were not NP, such
an introduction might prejudice future research and understanding of the
ecology.

The same objections don't apply to the Blackall Range.  There may well have
been lyrebirds there in the past since the Range drains on the west into the
Mary Valley.  In addition to the egg-collection records, the egg-collector
Sid Jackson had a note in his diary when collecting in the Mary Valley to
the effect that he had seen an Albert Lyrebird in full display.  (I think
the CSIRO Div. of Wildlife in Canberra has his diary, or a copy of it.)

However, if re-introduction were to be considered, I suggest that the
Conondale Range on the other side of the Mary would be a better proposition.
It is almost all State Forest or National Park and has what appears to be
excellent habitat for Albert's.

Cheers

Syd