birding-aus

Trip to South east SA

Subject: Trip to South east SA
From: "Nicholas Talbot" <>
Date: Tue, 09 Sep 2003 23:00:47 +1000
Hi,
On the weekend I went for a trip down to the Picanninie Ponds Conservation Park in the South-East of South Australia. During the trip I also crossed the border and checked out the Nelson Estuary walk.

I camped in one of about four camping sites in the park. They are all within about 100 metres of beach. My first birdwatch was a walk around to the Ponds themselves via the road. On the way the highlights were a Swamp Harrier, Black Shouldered Kite, Australian Shelduck (flying over), Brush Bronzewing, Eastern Yellow Robin and an Olive Whistler. The lowlight was a black and white cat scurrying through the scrub. I later found cat tracks on the walk through the coastal heath as well. I had intended to go snorkelling at the Ponds but a few minutes just ducking my head into the water with a mask and snorkel suggested that it was way too cold. I then did the coast walk and found two Southern Emu Wren, European Goldfinch (feeding on weeds growing along the high tide line), four Beautiful Firetail and Blue Winged Parrot (two flew overhead and another swooped in front of me and landed on a dune). On the beach there was an immature Kelp Gull, Pied Oystercatchers and several large groups of Great Cormorant.

It started raining so I drove over to Nelson on the assumption that moving 7 kilometres would get me out of the rain. Sure enough it was sunny in Nelson and the walk was excellent. The highlights were two Olive Whistler, Striated Fieldwren, Pied Oystercatcher (I counted 80), Great Crested Grebe, Musk Duck and Red-Browed Finch.

The highlight of the drive home was an Echidna crossing the road near Robe.
Nick