birding-aus

WA Trip Part 12

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA Trip Part 12
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Fri, 5 Sep 2003 19:33:40 +1000

DAY 11

Our early morning walk is again hampered by a strong wind and bird sightings are very limited. George and I managed to flush a Spinifexbird and get brief looks as it flies, with its tail down, to another Spinifex clump. Again, this bird is very reddish-brown in colour.

After a great breakfast of pancakes and honey we walk northwest along the track as the camp is being packed up. We get good views of two Horsefield Bronze-Cuckoos, two Brown Songlarks and eight more Orange Chats, including stunning looks at a male sitting on a dead branch.

As we continue on our way by vehicle a strange sight is a White-necked Heron flapping across the desert, must be water somewhere.  The lunch stop is at a small dam where we get good views of a pair of White-backed Swallows. A Little Eagle flies over and many Zebra Finches come in to drink. After lunch we see two more camels beside the road and just miss a feral cat with our front wheels. A bit later a young camel ran beside the car at about 35 to 40 km/hour for a short while.

Near the end of the day we saw our first Red Kangaroos of the trip and several Australian Bustard are flushed from the roadside. We arrive at our campsite with a male Bustard standing on the highest point around and another 3 or 4 Bustards flying around. Steak for dinner tonight, done on the barbeque plate over some hot coals. The previous night we had a fabulous roast dinner cooked in a hole filled with hot coals.

We covered 325kms today with little birding time but with the wind it was hardly worth stopping. Today was the only day of the whole trip that we did not see Brown Falcon! Only 21 species today.

White-necked Heron

Spotted Harrier

Little Eagle

Australian Bustard