birding-aus

Unidentified Raptor

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Unidentified Raptor
From: "K,K&E Lindsay" <>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2003 17:12:51 +1000
Hello all,
While watching the spring Honeyeater migration from my Suburban Home in Wahroonga,Sydney today,about 50 metres away a  raptor which was about Australian Raven size flew past above tree level,trying to grab a honeyeater.
The bird was pretty large compared to the honeyeaters,was rufous-brown, had streaky-spotted underwings and had a prominent dark 'tear marking' quite like the brown falcon which helped me narrow it down to one of the falcon species.
The following are my thoughts,

Brown Falcon
Juv Peregrine,the marking below the eye was more like the brown falcons than a peregrine
Aust Hobby,the bird was quite large so I don't think it was one of these

Does anyone else have any Ideas?

Cheers
Kurtis Lindsay