birding-aus

WA Trip Part 7

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA Trip Part 7
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Tue, 2 Sep 2003 18:54:42 +1000
Evening all

DAY 6

As has become our routine, each morning after breakfast, we head off walking in the direction of that days travel as George, Debbi and Mark pack up camp. This morning was one of our quietest walks, bird wise with only 6 species seen. The fact that one of those species happened to be Grey Falcon made up for all the rest! Perched on rocks and every now and then flying above and beside the Breaden Hills were two Grey Falcons. This same behaviour was witnessed last time I saw Grey Falcons in the East McDonnell Ranges near Alice Springs.

As a matter of interest the other species seen for our walk were, Brown Falcon, Nankeen Kestrel, Singing Honeyeater, Pied Butcherbird and Australian Magpie. Only about 5 Magpies were seen for the whole trip.

After being collected by the vehicles we head on to Breaden Pool and Godfrey Tank. There is enough water in Breaden Pool for a small flock of Painted Finches to come in to drink.

We continue south and take the route direct from Well 48 to 45, bypassing Well?s 47 & 46. Well 46 apparently has plenty of surface water.

A lunch stop at Mt Ford and a magnificent Rice Pie keeps us going until tea.

Mark struggles to mount (in his car) the first major sand dune. Letting some air out of the tyres and the passenger walking over we successfully negotiate our first hurdle. We pass through some magnificent country and there are not enough adjectives in the dictionary to describe the serene beauty of this country. The hardest part is passing many ideal birding spots without stopping or with only a quick look. For those of you who haven?t realized yet the main purpose of this trip is to look for the elusive Princess Parrot so we need to press on to the sites where they are most frequently seen. George has decided that the next trip down here that he does he will allow an extra day or two to do it more justice.

We start to see Crimson Chats, which are to be seen every day for the rest of the trip.

Earlier reports from a passing traveller had us excited about fresh water and Black Swans at Gravity Lakes but when we arrive they are bone dry. We later worked out that it must have been Well 46 or somewhere further south. Disappointed we pressed on towards dark when a puncture on the middle vehicle forces us to stop for the night.

Today we have successfully negotiated 57 sand dunes and seen 29 species of birds but added a few new ones to our trip list.

Spotted Harrier

Little Eagle

Brown Falcon

Grey Falcon