birding-aus

WA Trip Part 5

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: WA Trip Part 5
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 17:32:21 +1000
Good evening everybody

DAY FOUR

We awake to find our most common bird around the campsite is Yellow Chat. For the next two days we are treated to frequent and superb views of this exquisite bird. We estimate seeing around 100 birds in the small part of the lake that we visited and seeing that Lake Gregory and the surrounding lake system is a few hundred kms around the shoreline, there should be hundreds or thousands more!

An early morning walk along the beach is productive with stunning views of a male Flock Bronzewing sitting on the beach 20 metres in front of us. We also see around 10 ?flockies? as they became known, flying around as well.

Water birds included, thousands of Little Black Cormorants, hundreds of Magpie Geese, dozens of Great-crested Grebes, hundreds of Pink-eared Ducks, Brolga in abundance. Hundreds of Red-capped Plovers scurried everywhere and  Black-fronted Dotterel were also plentiful.

Whistling Kites were in abundance and several were nesting. Swamp Harriers were common. We had distant views of a Black Falcon, soaring high on a thermal.

After lunch we came across dozens of Yellow Chats (dubbed the ?Yellow Sparrows? by now). We discovered nesting Tree Martins. Many Australian Pratincoles patrolled the shoreline as well. A Little Grass Bird was a nice surprise in the reeds around the lake.

Later on as we were following a Little Button Quail we flushed a female Flock Bronzewing and upon closer inspection discovered that she was sitting on 2 eggs. Soon afterwards a male Flock Bronzewing did a spectacular display flight close by and at speed.

It was all happening as they say and we came across a group of 18 Banded Lapwings, a nice record for this area.

Back to the lakes edge early evening and we viewed two Freckled Ducks and also a Wood Sandpiper on the shoreline. Our first Black-shouldered Kite of the trip completed a fantastic days birding with 66 species seen.

Spaghetti Bolognaise for tea. Nice to have two nights without packing up camp.

Magpie Goose

Freckled Duck

Black Swan

Australian Wood Duck