birding-aus

Broome part 1A!

To: "birding-aus" <>
Subject: Broome part 1A!
From: "Lynn" <>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 17:55:37 +1000

Hi all

Back from 2 weeks birding in Western Australia. I would have to agree with Frank O?Connor on some of the birding sites in northern WA as being some of the best in Australia. I can?t comment on Victoria as I have never birded there but my other favorites would have to be Cairns and the Atherton Tablelands and also my own local Hunter Valley area as we have a species list of over 400 now and a great diversity of habitats. I also love Alice Springs and surrounds.

I will submit my trip report in stages to keep it shorter.

On Saturday 9/8/03 I flew from Sydney to Broome and went straight out to the Bird Observatory (BBO) and spent 2 days there, returning to Broome on Monday afternoon ready for a trip starting early Tuesday morning. I went on a 12-day Canning Stock Route trip with George Swan of Kimberley Birdwatching plus the 13th day birding with George around Broome before flying home.

This was my second trip to Broome and the BBO which helped enormously on knowing where to go etc. It was much drier than my previous trip in September 2 years ago.

Whilst the weather was against me on my previous trip due to the tides being too high for the best wader viewing, this time they were too low and the wind was not helping matters!

In the first two days I managed to see 92 species and overall for the trip around 185 species.

Common species seen around the BBO were

Rainbow Bee-eater

Restless (Paperbark) Flycatcher

Rufous Whistler

Singing Honeyeater

Brown Honeyeater

Rufous-throated Honeyeater

Grey-crowned Babbler

Peaceful Dove

Bar-shouldered Dove

Red-backed Fairy-wren

Variegated Fairy-wren

Mistletoe Bird

Great Bowerbird

Grey Shrike-thrush

White throated Gerygone

Little Friarbird

Brush Cuckoo

Long-tailed Finch    a group of 6 seen once in the birdbath

A Broad ?billed Flycatcher was using one of the birdbaths as well.

The surrounding Pindan offered a few more species such as:

Black faced Cuckoo-shrike

Black faced Woodswallow

Red wing Parrot

White winged Triller

Singing Bushlark

Yellow White-eye

The mangroves revealed:

Mangrove Grey Fantail

White-breasted Whistler- nice views of a pair.

Sacred Kingfisher

Though I did not look for long as I was concentrating on the waders and was there in the middle of the day when all was a bit on the quiet side and I knew I would be back on my last day in Broome for another look.

Raptors seen

Brahminy Kite

Black Kite

Whistling Kite