birding-aus

RFI NSW and QLD

To: <>
Subject: RFI NSW and QLD
From: Vámosi Krisztián <>
Date: Sat, 30 Aug 2003 17:48:01 +0200
Hello everybody,

we are two birders from Hungary, Eastern Europe. We will be travelling to Australia in September. The principal aim of our visit is to get to know Austarlian wildlife, birds in particular. (We have studied books. ) We would be grateful for advice on what areas to visit. From the 9th Sept to the 12th we will be staying in Sydney. We are planning to visit urban parks as well as the outskirts of the city. On the 16th we are heading to Cairns for a week. We hope to make several shorter trips in the vicinity. From the 24th till the end of the month we will be in and around Canberra.

It was very helpful that we read trip reports on the net, and we have also talked to other Hungarians who have been to Australia, but we feel we need more up to date information on sites worth visiting or species to be seen. We would also be delighted to join any local birders willing to take on two beginners in Australian bird fauna.
We have a few unanswered questions:

Which places in Sydney do you recommend for seawatching?

Is it worth the trouble going to Kosciusko NP after last year's fires?

What are the top birding sites between Melbourne and Canberra ?

Thank you for your help:

Krisztián and Anna