birding-aus

mystery raptor

To: "Kim Sterelny" <>
Subject: mystery raptor
From: "Philip A. Veerman" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 17:02:17 +1000
My first guess is a White-faced Heron, based on your description of "grey, and flew with powerful, but slow and deep wing-beats". As in how sure are you it was a raptor? Could the long-tail be long legs. The way to pick raptors from herons, cockatoos. etc in these conditions is how they hold their wings. Most raptors (not Whistling Kite & Osprey) have basically straight wings in profile (I mean each wing considered separately, not the tip to tip pattern and viewed from directly behind or in front) whereas herons, cockatoos etc have curved wings.

Philip