birding-aus

Butcherbird (Bb) behaviour

To: <>
Subject: Butcherbird (Bb) behaviour
From: "Alan Gillanders" <>
Date: Mon, 4 Aug 2003 09:46:26 +1000
Reuven,

I have observed Grey Bb using barbed wire fences to dismember skinks, a Fairywren and a House Mouse, Mus musculus.

Pied Bb usually use the fork of twigs having an acute angle though I believe I have seen them using thorns and fences as well but cannot recall a specific example at this time.

Black Bb use tight forks and splintered posts for frogs and lizards.

I have seen a Spangled Drongo use our washing line to pluck the feathers from a Silver-eye by jamming the head into the place where a stay joins an arm of the hoist.

An Australian Hobby witch was struggling with a Peaceful Dove, already plucked, found that it had better control of the bird when draped in a horizontal fork.

Shrikes are wonderful birds but I don't think that they have this field to themselves.

Hope this is of use to you, Reuven.

Regards,
Alan Gillanders

Alan's Wildlife Tours