birding-aus

Osprey at Glen Helen

To: "Messages Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Osprey at Glen Helen
From: "Bob Forsyth" <>
Date: Sat, 2 Aug 2003 20:30:36 +1000
g'day all,

The Australian Birdwatcher paper was
Fleming, M.R. (1987). The Osprey, Pandion haliaetus, in central Australia.  ABW 12 (1) March 1987, p30-32. and
included a list of non-coastal sightings of the Osprey in the N.T. plus a photo by R. Allen, taken 2/5/1985

The Emu, Vol 59 (2) p100 refers to a paper in "Journal fur Ornithologie, Jan 1911,  which notes a record of one shot by "an anthropologist and observer of bird life" at Blood's Creek in far north of Sth Aust .. and a tame dingo tore it to pieces before it was examined.

I have been fortunate to record vagrant Ospreys here at the Isa on several occasions.
At one time a pair stayed for at least a fortnight near the Lake Moondarra dam wall. At another time, a single bird fished up and down the permanent pool in the Leichhardt River alongside the Moondarra Caravan Park. And on a 3rd occasion another bird roosted for a day on a street light in a residential location a couple of 100m from the river.

Regards
Bob Forsyth, Mount Isa, NW Qld.
From:
Further to Steve Clark's message, I saw an Osprey at Glen Helen Gorge (Macdonnell Ranges, N.T.) back in August 1984, also in the act of catching a fish. As I later learned, this particular bird had been there for several months, and an article was written about it in The Australian Bird Watcher about 2 years later by an ornithologist based in Alice Springs. This contained theories as to how it got there and what it had been feeding on. Sorry I can't recall his name or locate the reference just now.
Neville