birding-aus

Crested Pigeons (Melbourne)

Subject: Crested Pigeons (Melbourne)
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:50:34 +1000
Further to Russell's query about Crested Pigeons.

I think they should remain on the 'reportable' list for Victoria as there
is evidence the species is continuing to expand into or be recorded from,
areas that it previosuly did not inhabit.

For eg. the old Atlas of Victorian Birds (1987, p. 140) shows no records of
Crested Pigeons in or near Werribee and not at all near/on the southern
Victorian coastline.  However, a colleague has recorded Crested Pigeons
from Yanakie Isthmus on Wilsons Promontory, South Gippsland in 1999 and
various people no doubt have recorded them around Geelong etc.  As people
have also noted, there is an area of overlap now between CPs and
turtle-doves in Victoria.

I encourage all Victorian birdos to
- keep reporting records of Crested Pigeons in southern Victoria to the
list, and
- make sure their observations get into either the Birds Australia Atlas of
Atlas of Victorian Wildlife (AVW).

This way we can keep track of the species expansion and movements.  We may
also be able to tell whether there is any evidence they are or can compete
with the introduced Spotted Turtle-Dove.

I am happy to provide people with an electronic Atlas sheet for the AVW.
Please contact me directly if required.

Martin O'Brien
Department of Sustainability and Environment
4/250 Victoria Pde. (PO Box 500), East Melbourne  3002

Tel: 9412 4567  Fax: 9412 4586
(prefixes: Interstate 03 International 613)