birding-aus

Brolgas at WTP, Werribee

To: <>
Subject: Brolgas at WTP, Werribee
From: "Aaron Organ" <>
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 08:45:24 +1000
Hi Peter,
            I was out there about a month or two ago looking for the Oriental Pratincole - you may have remembered my posting.  Back then there were two birds hanging around at the T-section/Austin Road Lagoons.  Had a quick look on the Atlas of Victorian Wildlife (AVW) and there are at least 11 documented records (last being in 2001) of the Brolga from the general area you have referred to.  Many of these records have been in the late 1990's, however, this may be a reflection on the lack of documented records before this time (not too sure).  Certainly a good sighting that should be entered on the AVW.  There have also been a number of records around Paradise Road lagoons during 1999-2001.

Melbourne Water have been actively controlling the foxes out there for the past year or so now and this has certainly reduced the predation pressure on many of the threatened species at the WTP.  Not too sure when the next baiting program is but maybe it's time for another one.

Cheers

Aaron Organ
Zoologist

Biosis Research Pty. Ltd.
Natural and Cultural Heritage Consultants
322 Bay Street (PO Box 489)
PORT MELBOURNE VIC 3207

ph: (03) 9646 9499
fax: (03) 9646 9242