birding-aus

Lake Victoria, Point Lonsdale Bellarine Peninsula (V).

To: "birding-aus" <>, "Rod & Marley Corinaldi" <>
Subject: Lake Victoria, Point Lonsdale Bellarine Peninsula (V).
From: "Lyell" <>
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 2003 18:21:09 +1000
Hi all
    Whilst visiting some friends at Point Lonsdale, thought I'd try out my two month old Kowa telescope, which I'd not had the opportunity to test to date.  Drove to Lake Victoria and along with the Grey & Chestnut Teal, we zoomed in on a Red-capped Plover which looked magnificent with the sun shining on him.
On the small lake between the track and golf course, 5 Hooded Plover (3adult 2juv)were seen.  Rod (friend) mentioned that a Spotted Crake had been seen along the drain between the track and the golf course and bingo, there was a Spotted Crake. It spooked and run back under cover.  About 3 minutes passed and a bird wandered out at the exact location the Sp.Crake had disappeared.  So we presumed it was the Crake until we checked through the scope to discover a Buff-banded Rail. This was a new bird for the area for Rod who does a weekly count of the lake area.
Then the Spotted Crake re-appeared so that we had an excellent view of both of them at the same time.  Wonderful comparison for size difference.
This is a wonder 'scope!!
Not a great many birds, but some nice birds to add to the yearly list.
Happy birding
Marlene