birding-aus

Re:Steve Irwin Conservation Tips

To: "Moorhead Family" <>
Subject: Re:Steve Irwin Conservation Tips
From: "Belle" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:12:35 +1000
Bill
How awful for you. If you see a Goanna (Lace Monitor) coming towards you, don't run, you lay down as their eye site isn't good and they will think you are a tree if you are standing. They are beautiful but very scarey. I had to pick a Goanna up from one of our local Resorts, they said it had a sore leg. Silly me, not thinking just terrified, as it was my first (&last) Goanna rescue, the lady had picked it up all by herself and put it in a laundry bag, so luckily for me I didn't have to touch it, I put this Goanna in to my boot in the laundry bag which was tied up, when I got to the Vet, there he was still in the laundry bage with his head up high. I had forgotten when they are warm they are more active. It all went well, and there  didn't appear to be anything broken, he just had a little bruising. I took him back to the Resort and released him very well.

Marian