birding-aus

Steve Irwin Conservation Tips

To: <>
Subject: Steve Irwin Conservation Tips
From: "Marian Andrews" <>
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 20:06:10 +1000
Hi
It is a good idea. I ask people to also check pouches of any roadkill. Where I live we get quite a lot of Eastern Greys, Swamp and Red Neck Wallabies, and the occasional Wombat, even quite a few birds. My husband asked me yesterday if I got a call for an Eastern Grey the day before, I didn't, but this truck diver who came in to our business wanting a new windscreen fitted, he had hit a Wedge Tailed Eagle which was in the middle of the road with a dead Eastern Grey. He said it happened so quick, he got out and the bird was dead, so he moved the Roo off the road as well. It does happen quite a lot, where a Crow or Raptor comes across roadkill in the middle of the road, they also suffer. I ask people in my area, if they see any recent roadkill, to check to see if it is a female and if there is a joey and phone. Even if they cant move it off the road, if there is someone close to them, they will go out and move the animal/bird.
These poor animals and birds decide they want to eat the grass and grass seeds from the side of the road and they get hit. I had to send my husband out to look for a Red Necked Wallaby a little while ago, I have to mind the grandson, too cold to take him out, so my hubby met up with the man who phoned as he hit one on his way home from work. Luckily for this one, it did hop off, hopefully with no injuries and just stunned. It is so sad at times, the local Police help with injured road kill, as they cant be taken in to care if they are adult size, it is too stressful for the animal.
By moving these roadkill off into any bushes or a gully, you could save something else.

Marian