birding-aus

The dreaded Swiss Parrot

To: Birding-Aus <>
Subject: The dreaded Swiss Parrot
From: Paul Taylor <>
Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2003 07:27:25 +1000
Paul Van Gasse wrote:
I wouldn't be too quick in discarding the possibility of this bird's
existence.

The Swiss Parrot (Lathamus helvetica) is closely related to the
Swift Parrot (Lathamus discolor); it can be distinguished from
the former by its lisping call.

More seriously, this appears to be a "meme" in action.  I have a vague
recollection of hearing a news report about the funding announcement
for the "swiss" parrot.  Unfortunately, I couldn't find the press release
in question to see whether the mistake was in the original or was a
"mutation" in the news report.  (The PM's website only has speeches
back to June 1997, and there were only three unrelated references to
Swift Parrots on Hansaard's website.)