birding-aus

what a search for this one

To: <>
Subject: what a search for this one
From: "Jacqui" <>
Date: Sat, 5 Jul 2003 21:31:01 +1000
We seemed to be the only birdo group at Werribee today, the sun being very pleasant whilst in the car, and the wind not too intolerable. Our main aim yet again was to hopefully get even a fleeting glimpse of Orange Bellied Parrots.
After several delayed views of birds from the back seat, I repositioned myself for better spotting only to be rewarded with seeing not 1 OBP, but 3, fly across in front of the windscreen, and along my side of the car clearly revealing the colourful orange underbelly  of at least one bird and hearing the delightful chattering sound as they passed us. I think for once being short gave me the best views, as with great excitement Paul leapt out of the car for better views and Rob tried to catch onto where we were looking as I garbled with delight rather then a clear " look low left, OBP". They were just past the Cormorant Pier.
 We then tried for a better view for 'some', and viewed one parrot feeding on the track. It wasn't terribly perturbed by our presence but kept a safe distance. From the yellow on the face, and general colour we deduced this one to be a Blue Winged Parrot. Paul will hopefully have some nice shots of this one.
Another highlight today was great views of Double Banded Plover in full breeding colour, quite stunning.
One Musk Duck was practising displaying with it's head held upward and feet flicking up from the back to create a splash. Only sad part was there were no females nearby to impress.
Interestingly today most birds were seen in the sea water -even pink eared ducks.
Regards,
Jacqui  & Rob Sheppard, and Paul Hackett
Edithvale
Melbourne

---