birding-aus

Large numbers of Swift Parrots, Pomonal, Vic

Subject: Large numbers of Swift Parrots, Pomonal, Vic
From: Steve Clark <>
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:14:43 +1000
G'day all

Neil Macumber has been seeing large numbers of Swift Parrots coming to roost on his neighbour's property in Pomonal (western Victoria) over the last week or so. The birds come in around 1600-1700 each evening and leave in the morning. Neil has counted over 400 birds. I spent the day looking for their feeding areas today without success. At Neil's property this afternoon we watched as 150-200 came in to roost in small flocks (8-15 birds at a time) from about 1615 for 20 minutes or so. There were still groups coming in when we had to stop watching and still about 30 minutes of daylight left.

We don't know where the birds go during the day and our guesses so far have proved wrong. They seem to head north or north east. How far are they likely to travel to feed?

An interesting puzzle but a great experience to see a large proportion of the total population of Swift Parrots in one place.

Cheers

Steve