birding-aus

stereo microphone setup for bird recording

To: john boyce <>
Subject: stereo microphone setup for bird recording
From: (Andrew Taylor)
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 19:09:10 +1000
On Tue, Jul 01, 2003 at 05:18:29PM +1000, john boyce wrote:
> has anyone ever tried using two mono mikes (unidirectional or
> supercardioid type) to make 'stereo' recordings of nature sounds. Is two
> mono mikes a good way to go or is it too complex to get the orientation
> of the mikes right to give reasonable stereo sound. Also what do people
> mostly do with a single mono shotgun mike (the most common setup I
> guess), do they record just a single channel and duplicate that channel
> later on at the computer stage or do you rewire the mike to give signal
> to both channels of the recorder. Any comments or help much appreciated.

Well I haven't actually done any field stereo recording but I believe
its not hard to get reasonble results.  I plan one day to get a Telinga
stereo parabola, see http://www.bahnhof.se/~telinga/

There is a nice piece at http://emusician.com/ar/emusic_going_wild/
on nature recording equipment.

Andrew Taylor