birding-aus

Swift Parrots

To: "Allan Benson" <>
Subject: Swift Parrots
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 10:40:15 +1000

Great to see that swift parrots are still being picked up around the Newcastle area.  I also found four swift parrots at Toukley, south of the golf course about a week ago.  These birds were using forest red gum which is in flower throughout the budgewoi/toukley/gorokan area of Wyong Shire (between Newcastle and Gosford on the NSW Central Coast).  This year the birds seem to be very scattered and quiet making them a bit more difficult to detect than usual.  I am still collating results from the May surveys, however the largest number of swifties (possibly up to 400) appear to be in western Victoria at Pomonal, near the Grampians.  If anyone is able to get out to the Grampian and Little Desert area I would love to hear about it since I am sure it would be very worthwhile and there would be a good chance of being able to find sites that are currently unknown (by us, not the birds of course) for this species!
cheers Debbie

Debbie Saunders
Swift Parrot Recovery Officer
National Swift Parrot Recovery Team
PO Box 2115 Queanbeyan NSW 2620
Ph: (02) 6298 9733  Freecall: 1800 66 57 66 Fax: (02) 6299 4281
email:

"Allan Benson" <>
Sent by:

30/06/03 19:29