birding-aus

Lake Borrie

To: "Tony Russell" <>
Subject: Lake Borrie
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 11:26:32 +1000

Hi Tony and All,

Warning: Please dont read on if toilet terminology offends.

Tony Asked:

'Why the name Borrie is funny at a sewage farm..."

Engineer of Sewerage Construction 1929-1950 Edwin Fullarton Borrie 1894-1968
Chief Planner 1950-1959 Edwin Fullarton Borrie 1894-1968

The term Borrie is a slang term for going to the toilet down here in Victoria. (E.g. like 'taking a dump'... 'going for a number 2')

Perhaps this term is a cultural remanant of Edwin Borrie's outstanding work at the Sewage Farm, that the locals obviously appreciated enough to honour his name with the act! ; )

In fact, the WTP and Edwin Borrie has effected the language of Victorian's in a couple of ways. There is also a local term that was adapted from the Sewage Farm at Werribee, to indicate that someone was in a lot of trouble.  Have you heard  "He's in more shit than the Werribee Duck!" before?

I'd be interested to know if anyone outside of Victoria has ever heard these terminologies before??? It would be interesting to know how far and fast toilet humour can actually spread! : )

Regards,

Peter

"Tony Russell" <>
Sent by:

28/06/2003 07:02 PM

"birding-aus" <>
cc
Subject
[BIRDING-AUS] Lake Borrie

Aha ! Given the lack of answers to my query about why the name Borrie is funny at a sewage farm I guess I'm not alone in not understanding it.

Tony.