birding-aus

Geese on Phillip Island, Vic

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: Geese on Phillip Island, Vic
From: "Elizabeth Shaw" <>
Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:02:33 +1000
Sally,
Phillip Island is  a stronghold of Cape Barren Geese in Victoria since they
were reintroduced here about 20 years ago.  Almost every paddock on the
Island with a reasonable size dam has at least one nesting pair at this time
of the year.  WESBOC do a count of them every second year (this is one of
the years).  I can't remember how many were found in the last count, but I
think its around 260 birds.

If I did a count of most commonly seen birds on Phillip Island I think Cape
Barren Geese would rate high on the list with White and Straw-necked Ibis,
Magpies, Masked Lapwings, Silver Gulls, Pacific Gulls and Swamp Harriers on
a drive from Cowes to San Remo.

Elizabeth Shaw
Phillip Island