birding-aus

What are the birds you record most often? (long)

To: Lawrie Conole <>,
Subject: What are the birds you record most often? (long)
From: john boyce <>
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 09:26:27 +1000
Hi Lawrie and others,
        I will give a reply from my database. Firstly my database has far fewer
records than Lawrie, only 10,000 all up and of these only about 6000 are
from Victoria. I have been recording almost all birds seen for only the
last 5 or 6 years and have just started to record all vertebrates; by
the way Lawrie do you have a full aus list for Butterflies, I'd love to
add them to my database?
        I only birdwatch on free time and for the last six years less and less
frequently due to young family and other committments. But here it is,
the top 50 recorded as determined by actual number of entries and the
bottom 50 or so which all just have one entry. Some of these are a bit
embarrasing but some I have actually seen more times (eg. Olive
Whistler) but the sightings were before I started entering everything
into my database or indeed writing everything down. Indeed, I would
suggest to starting birders that they write everything down from the
start as it is annoying when you can't remember all the details of
sightings later on. Also the more people that write all sightings down,
with dates and exact places, the larger the useful dataset that can be
drawn on in the future.
        Lawrie I'll leave it to you to compare my top 50 with yours and see
what is the same and what is not. By the way I bird much less frequently
in central and norhtern Vic than I think Lawrie does and I spend a lot
of time near the coast especially around Phillip Island. Also this list
is drawn from seen only sightings (I could have included heard only but
didn't) so some birds on the seen only once list have been encountered
more often but not sighted.
John

Top 50 Vic sightings
CB numberCommon name            Scientific name                 Count
301     Silver Gull             Larus novaehollandiae           132
774     Welcome Swallow         Hirundo neoxena                 121
681     Magpie-lark             Grallina cyanoleuca             108
548     Red Wattlebird          Anthochaera carunculata         108
686     Willie Wagtail          Rhipidura leucophrys            105
709     Australian Magpie       Gymnorhina tibicen              104
290     Masked Lapwing          Vanellus miles                  98
34      Pacific Black Duck      Anas superciliosa               97
480     Superb Fairy-wren       Malurus cyaneus                 96
803     Common Starling         Sturnus vulgaris                92
798     Common Blackbird        Turdus merula                   91
586     White-plumed Honeyeater Lichenostomus penicillatus      89
24      Black Swan              Cygnus atratus                  88
743     House Sparrow           Passer domesticus               86
804     Common Myna             Acridotheres tristis            77
38      Chestnut Teal           Anas castanea                   76
160     Australian White Ibis   Threskiornis molucca            74
132     Little Pied Cormorant   Phalacrocorax melanoleucos      67
142     White-faced Heron       Egretta novaehollandiae         66
209     Dusky Moorhen           Gallinula tenebrosa             65
719     Little Raven            Corvus mellori                  62
389     Eastern Rosella         Platycercus eximius             62
366     Galah                   Cacatua roseicapilla            62
332     Spotted Turtle-Dove     Streptopelia chinensis          62
767     European Goldfinch      Carduelis carduelis             57
668     Grey Shrike-thrush      Colluricincla harmonica         57
298     Pacific Gull            Larus pacificus                 56
683     Grey Fantail            Rhipidura fuliginosa            55
207     Purple Swamphen         Porphyrio porphyrio bellus      55
598     New Holland Honeyeater  Phylidonyris novaehollandiae    54
373     Rainbow Lorikeet        Trichoglossus haematodus        54
138     Australian Pelican      Pelecanus conspicillatus        50
309     Crested Tern            Sterna bergii                   50
212     Eurasian Coot           Fulica atra                     48
550     Little Wattlebird       Anthochaera chrysoptera         46
27      Australian Shelduck     Tadorna tadornoides             44
618     White-fronted Chat      Epthianura albifrons            44
456     Laughing Kookaburra     Dacelo novaeguineae             44
510     White-browed Scrubwren  Sericornis frontalis            43
560     Noisy Miner             Manorina melanocephala          42
328     Rock Dove               Columba livia                   42
43      Australasian Grebe      Tachybaptus novaehollandiae     42
135     Little Black Cormorant  Phalacrocorax sulcirostris      41
271     Black-winged Stilt      Himantopus himantopus           41
371     Sulphur-crested Cockatoo        Cacatua galerita        41
136     Great Cormorant         Phalacrocorax carbo             40
248     Red-necked Stint        Calidris ruficollis             40
30      Australian Wood Duck    Chenonetta jubata               39
161     Straw-necked Ibis       Threskiornis spinicollis        38
177     Swamp Harrier           Circus approximans              38

22      Freckled Duck                   Stictonetta naevosa
36      Northern Shoveler               Anas clypeata
155     Little Bittern                  Ixobrychus minutus
166     Osprey                          Pandion haliaetus
176     Spotted Harrier                 Circus assimilis
188     Black Falcon                    Falco subniger
197     Lewin's Rail                    Rallus pectoralis
200     Baillon's Crake                 Porzana pusilla
203     Spotless Crake                  Porzana tabuensis
219     Painted Button-quail            Turnix varia
226     Hudsonian Godwit                Limosa haemastica
237     Wood Sandpiper                  Tringa glareola
238     Terek Sandpiper                 Xenus cinereus
240     Grey-tailed Tattler             Heteroscelus brevipes
261     Red-necked Phalarope            Phalaropus lobatus
263     Painted Snipe                   Rostratula benghalensis
276     Ringed Plover                   Charadrius hiaticula
281     Lesser Sand Plover              Charadrius mongolus
291     Oriental Pratincole             Glareola maldivarum
296     Arctic Jaeger                   Stercorarius parasiticus
311     White-fronted Tern              Sterna striata
313     Common Tern                     Sterna hirundo
316     Little Tern                     Sterna albifrons
347     Wonga Pigeon                    Leucosarcia melanoleuca
374     Scaly-breasted Lorikeet         Trichoglossus chlorolepidotus
384     Superb Parrot                   Polytelis swainsonii
398     Mulga Parrot                    Psephotus varius
403     Budgerigar                      Melopsittacus undulatus
408     Orange-bellied Parrot           Neophema chrysogaster
424     Common Koel                     Eudynamys scolopacea
428     Powerful Owl                    Ninox strenua
446     Australian Owlet-nightjar       Aegotheles cristatus
453     Azure Kingfisher                Alcedo azurea
460     Red-backed Kingfisher           Todirhamphus pyrrhopygia
464     Dollarbird                      Eurystomus orientalis
474     White-browed Treecreeper        Climacteris affinis
486     White-winged Fairy-wren         Malurus leucopterus
506     Pilotbird                       Pycnoptilus floccosus
516     Chestnut-rumped Heathwren       Hylacola pyrrhopygia
520     Redthroat                       Pyrrholaemus brunneus
521     Speckled Warbler                Chthonicola sagittata
527     Western Gerygone                Gerygone fusca
532     White-throated Gerygone         Gerygone olivacea
557     Regent Honeyeater               Xanthomyza phrygia
565     Lewin's Honeyeater              Meliphaga lewinii
596     Painted Honeyeater              Grantiella picta
611     Pied Honeyeater                 Certhionyx variegatus
615     Crimson Chat                    Epthianura tricolor
616     Orange Chat                     Epthianura aurifrons
626     Rose Robin                      Petroica rosea
627     Pink Robin                      Petroica rodinogaster
646     Eastern Whipbird                Psophodes olivaceus
650     Spotted Quail-Thrush            Cinclosoma punctatum
651     Chestnut Quail-Thrush           Cinclosoma castanotus
657     Olive Whistler                  Pachycephala olivacea
670     Black-faced Monarch             Monarcha melanopsis
699     White-breasted Woodswallow      Artamus leucorhyncus
772     White-backed Swallow            Cheramoeca leucosternus