birding-aus

9 Month old Sighting - Whoops

To: "Birding-Aus" <>
Subject: 9 Month old Sighting - Whoops
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:57:27 +1000

Sorry everyone!

The Bush Stone Curlew was actually a Pallid Cuckoo.....or what i now like to call a Bush Stone Cuckoo...

This can be added to my list of Great Crested Stick and Mud Duck.

I guess calling it a honeyeater was probably closer to the truth after all!

Anyway, sorry for the mis-ID and to get people excited about the prospect of Curlews in the Geelong area.

It did look a lot different than a Curlew, but i thought it must have been a juvenile with very undefined markings. I just saw the large yellow eye and assumed it was a Curlew. Although cuckoos are suppose to abound the bushland in Summer, i've never made a positive ID of any. But i guess i will be  more aware now.

If its one thing i've learnt, its 'What seems unlikely, usually is!'

I'll keep this in mind in the future.

Regards,

Peter

"Dicksons" <>
Sent by:

11/06/2003 05:01 PM

"Birding-Aus" <>
cc
Subject Re: [BIRDING-AUS] 9 Month old Sighting

Hi all,

Frank Harrison, in his column for the local paper once told the story of an elderly lady who approached him to help her ID a bird - it was a honeyeater he was told, black and white in colour. He went through all the likely possibilities, even though they're all rare vargrants to the local area and eventually, stumped asked as to the approxiamate sizing of these birds - it turned out to be an Australian White Ibis.

Tim Dickson
Townsville