birding-aus

RFI Gibraltar Range (and other matters)

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: RFI Gibraltar Range (and other matters)
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2003 23:20:46 +1000
Folks,

Just wondering if anyone has recent information on the Gibraltar range group of National Parks in the New England Tableland area of NSW.  We're starting to think about a camping trip and that was an area that looked like it might be interesting.  In particular, any impressions of access and camping areas would be most welcome - from what I can glean, Mulligans sounds a reasonably family-friendly camping area but it's always preferable to have some first-hand advice.  How is it as an area for more general walking and sightseeing (bearing in mind that not all my family are as enlightened as myself regarding the pre-eminence of birding as a recreational activity)?

The other area we were looking at was the Flinders/ Gammon Ranges, but I was thinking it might still be well on the dry side, and worth saving for greener days.  Any recent experience to support or quash that impression?

Fantastic news about Whimpey Reichelt - richly deserved recognition of great endeavour and achievement in conservation at a practical level.

I did see Rove on Andrew Denton last night.  Worth approaching to promote the Twitchathon this year??  If we want to popularise birding, he's the sort of high-profile champion we need, and a Twitchathon may be just weird enough to appeal to his sense of humour.  Anyone at Birds Australia in a position to follow up?

Peregrine Falcon over Glen Waverley last Saturday week, and a party of Long-billed Corellas in Hallam (about 5 km east of Dandenong) on Sunday - possibly some of the ones that hang around the Lyndhurst area.  Mum and Dad heard the Owlet-Nighjar again in Glen Iris last week, and a friend of a friend saw a huge owl in their backyard in Kew (inner eastern suburb of Melbourne, close to the bush corridor along the Yarra), also one night last week - it was sitting on the clothesline and staring down when he noticed it, and took off with impressive wingspan and not a whisper of sound after a couple of minutes.  Presumably a dispersing Powerful Owl.

Regards to all,

    Jack