birding-aus

Birdline Victoria Update - 8 June 2003

To: "Birdline Weekly Update" <>
Subject: Birdline Victoria Update - 8 June 2003
From: "Birdline Victoria" <>
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 09:55:25 +1000
Birdline Victoria Update No. 119
For the week ending:8 June 2003
It has been a bit slow, at a slow time year here at Birdline.  I hope people share in my motivation for Birdline, and that is to ensure that all the birders in Victoria hear about and get to see rare and unusual birds in a timely fashion, and to have these birds recorded in one easily accessible place for future reference.  I started the service because it was difficult to find out about these birds if, as a new or isolated birder, you were not in the telephone 'loop'.  However Birdline will only work if I receive sightings from the birding public so that I can share them with everyone else.  I have had some great contributors to the service, the type of people that are generous with time in a whole range of matters, however there are some people who are still yet to send me anything, despite having seen some good birds in the last two and a half years.  I am happy to receive any feedback about the service and will certainly consider it in the light of the revamp which is currently, slowly, underway.  So thanks to those people who regularly send me sightings and here's to a future packed with birds all over the state.

Sightings

Late May
David Humphreys of Bendigo reports a large flock of Noisy Friarbirds in the flowering ironbarks there, thanks Sally Symonds.

31 May
A male Pink Robin at Mandurang SF, near Sedgwick - SE of Bendigo, thanks Giles Daubeney.

28 May
A Scarlet Honeyeater was seen at Sedgwick, near Bendigo, along with a pair of Speckled Warblers, thanks Glenise.

25 May
The highlights of a pelagic trip off Port Fairy include 3 Antarctic, 2 Slender-billed and around 1500 Fairy Prion, 1 Northern Royal Albatross and 15 Grey-backed Storm-petrel, thanks Mike Carter.

25 May
The highlight of a pelagic off Portland was 40 or more Grey-backed Storm-petrel, thanks Rob Farnes.

Mid May
A possible sighting of a Bush Stone-curlew has been reported from a sugar gum plantation between Hamilton and Lake Linlithgow, thanks Steve Clark.

16 May
An Orange-bellied Parrot was seen on Foreshore Road, outside the large ornamental gates at Geelong Grammar - between the school and the little swamp beside Corio Bay, thanks Russell (& wife) Woodford.

11 May
2 or 3 pairs of Powerful Owls have made home at the Birdsland Environmental Education Centre in Belgrave South, thanks Donna Grundy.

11 May
A Little Eagle was seen over Banyule Flats, Heidelberg, thanks Richard Loyn.

11 May
On the Port Fairy pelagic trip 10, including 1 dark phase, Soft-plumaged Petrels, 4 Sooty Albatrosses and 6 Grey-backed Storm-petrels were highlights, thanks Rohan Clarke.

11 May
A pair of Major Mitchell's Cockatoo were seen in a paddock about 40kms north of Bendigo on the Pyramid Hill Road, thanks Greg Oakley.

10 May
There were 2 Black-tailed Godwits, 2 Blue-winged Parrots and 2 Cape Barren Goose at the Western Treatment Plant, thanks Richard Nowotny.

Updates

The Oriental Pratincoles were still present at their now usual spot at the Paradise Road Ponds in the Western Treatment Plant on the 8th of June, thanks Rick Purcell.

Birdline Victoria is a service for birdwatchers to report and find out about rare and unusual birds in Victoria and is brought to you by Birds Australia Victoria. Birdline can be contacted on (03) 9882 2390 or on the Internet at http://home.iprimus.com.au/scooney/index.htm

Regards,
Stuart

This update was sent to you on request or via the Birding-Aus mailing list. If you received this e-mail in error please reply to the sender to be removed from the recipient list.