birding-aus

Today near Gloucester

To: <>
Subject: Today near Gloucester
From: "Penny Drake-Brockman" <>
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2003 17:55:03 +1000

Did an early morning  bird watch (actually 10.15 am by the time we got there - chilly in the shade but warm in the sun) to Copeland Nature Reserve, 15 km west of Gloucester. First excitement was a pair of Emerald Dove (Green Pigeon) feeding on the path that leads fromthe car park to the forest walk. Then Brown Pigeon, Bassian Thrush (3 seen), 1 Wonga Pigeon and Superb Lyrebird doing a great Pied Currawong call amongst others. No Wompoos calling and very quiet most of the time.

Other species were Brown Gerygones, Grey Fantails, Grey Shrike-thrush, Lewins and Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Horsfield and Shining-bronze Cuckoos calling, E.Whipbirds, Bell Miners, Golden Whistlers, C.Rosellas, Yellow Robin, White-browed and Yellow-throated Scrub-wrens, Silvereye, Spotted Pardalote, and Pied Currawong, seen or heard during our 3 hour walk. Also a  corvid which I think was a Torresian Crow but have to listen to the tapes again.

From the deck this arfo after a late lunch, a pair of adult Rufous Whistlers with an immature male flew into my neighbour's bottlebrush, and down at the Avon Valley wetlands at 4.30 pm, a pair of Royal Spoonbills 1 Black-shouldered Kite and 2 Whistling Kites were noted - up the Mograni Creek Road, it was also very quiet with only Brown Falcon to add to our weekend list and a pair of Masked Lapwing with one sitting on four eggs right by a cattle yard - not the savest spot one would think!

Let's see what tomorrow will bring!