birding-aus

Swift Parrot & Regent HE Survey

To: Birding-Oz <>
Subject: Swift Parrot & Regent HE Survey
From: Timothy Hyde <>
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2003 12:34:37 -0700
OK, we have a free day let's shoot out the valley (capertee nsw)
and hunt some Parrots & Honey Eaters

also a chance to try out the new tent

It rained

It leaked

Oh well, we are the rainmen!
(we visit The Alice for the first time,
the Todd starts to flow)

A wet capertee survey
brings no regents or swifties.
But the best ever views
of a Turquois Parrot,
diamond fire tails,
brown treecreepers & falcon.

The babblers appear on cue,
little eagle & DBF's.
A male hooded robin
shoots in at the last minute
not wanting to be left off the list.

Times up. Driving out to head home
we stop to investigate
the ongoing kerfuffle in a big white box.
There's choughs a plenty
and a couple of ravens
getting in on the act.
What are they all worried about?

Our pair of Barking Owls are there sitting tight
and holding their own against the sea of black.

A great few hours birding
the grassy woodland of the Capertee Valley

Timothy Hyde

PS  there is a couple of white box
flowering on the road side verge
(just south of Port Macquarie rd turn off)
that would be well worth checking
if travelling through the valley.
Crawling with musk lorries when we were there
and who knows what else might drop in.

.