birding-aus

Ravens and golf balls

Subject: Ravens and golf balls
From: "Tim Bawden" <>
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 13:42:47 +1000
I think its probably a fairly common problem... even miles away from any golf
course... My parents have a holiday house at Seaspray in Gippsland, its about
30 km from the nearest golf course. My dad being a mad keen golfer regularly
chips balls around the backyard and noticed that they go missing often when he
went inside... he thought it was kids so watched the ball on the backlawn and
saw a raven swoop in and carry it away into the nearby scrub. Upon
investigation he found all the missing balls at the base of a certain tree
along with many others, some of them obviously having been there for years
judging by the state of decay. The raven took pink orange white and yellow
balls, just seemed to be what was there.

Cheers
Tim