birding-aus

GPO Birds

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: GPO Birds
From: knightl <>
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 18:01:20 +1000
The Brisbane [Mangrove] Bittern was sitting on one of the anchoring chains of the Riverside helipad as I was choofing along the cycle path yesterday. It seemed to be quite comfortable despite the fact that people were passing through just 5 metres from its perch.

I heard that the Botanic [Bush] Thickknees had hatched a few young over the yearend, so checked out their haunts over lunch today - I found a group of three in the palm section in the middle of the Gardens where they commonly hang out.

As I was walking back to work, it occurred to me that it would be an interesting exercise to put together a list of birds that have been recorded within one kilometre of the GPO of each of the Australian capitals. Darwin, for example, would probably have some interesting mangrove species.

Off the top of my head, Brisbane's list would include:
brush turkey
pacific black duck
maned duck
peregrine falcon
eurasian coot
dusky moorhen
buff banded rail
bush thickknee
mangrove bittern
darter
white ibis
sacred ibis
silver gull
caspian tern
rock pigeon
crested pigeon
galah
rainbow lorikeet
pale headed rosella
koel
pheasant coucal
figbird
noisy miner
blue faced honeyeater
welcome swallow
peewee
pied currawong
pied butcherbird
oz magpie
torresian crow
house sparrow

There would be quite a few more that I can't remember seeing round the CBD, and I'm not sure that the Franklins Gull that visited southbank a few years ago was within the 1000 metre boundary. I know the Atlas would have some records of CBD birds, but that would just be a subset of the total list of birds observed.

Anyhow, for those of you who like a bird counting challenge ...

Regards, Laurie.