birding-aus

Queensland land clearing: big win in balance - a chance for EVERY young

To: Paul Peake <>,
Subject: Queensland land clearing: big win in balance - a chance for EVERY young birdo on birding-aus
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Sun, 25 May 2003 18:13:00 -0700 (PDT)
Thank you and bless you Paul, never know it just might keep a school class busy for at least 30 minutes writing eh :^D>>>

Paul Peake <> wrote:

Dear everyone at birding-aus,

This is a short email from me with details of what to do if you want to help
achieve what (in my view at least) is the SINGLE MOST IMPORTANT VICTORY FOR NATURE (INCLUDING BIRD) CONSERVATION IN AUSTRALIAN HISTORY - an end to broadscale land clearing in Queensland.

All the details are in the longer email following below, but if you don't
want to read it, the basic gist is that NOW - RIGHT NOW - is the time to
contact politicians and media (by any means, preferably several, especially the most prompt: phone, fax and email) to send a strong message of support for an immediate end to broadscale land clearing in Queensland - currently the subject of intensive negotiation between the Federal and Queensland Governments.

If you have opportunity to do a lot of lobbying etc., see the email below.
As a minimum, wouldn't it be great if EVERYONE on birding-aus immediately contacted the Prime Minister (the highest priority contact at the moment) to support proposals to end land clearing immediately:

Write to: John Howard, Suite NG8, Parliament House, Canberra ACT 2600 Ph (02) 6277 7700; Fax: 02 6273 4100
www.pm.gov.au/your_feedback/feedback.htm

Here's an example of a brief message I just threw together in a few minutes (feel free to copy and modify as you see fit):

Dear Mr Howard,

Please do all you can to IMMEDIATELY end land clearing in Queensland. I am a junior birdwatcher and am horrified that HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS of birds (not to mention other native wildlife) will be lost forever in the coming years unless something is done to stop this disaster immediately. Why are you allowing my future years of fun and enjoyment to be removed? Every month of delay costs us hundreds of thousands of native birds. I trust that you will do all you can to IMMEDIATELY solve what I consider to be by far the biggest environmental problem facing Australia today.

Yours sincerely, ...