birding-aus

Plastic bags

To: "Birding-aus" <>
Subject: Plastic bags
From: "Terry Pacey" <>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2003 09:25:01 +1000
While agreeing with the need to stop plastic bags from fouling our
environment, two questions I posed are yet to be answered.

The first is the problem with those who (because of distance from
supermarkets or health problems) can only shop every month or so.  I know
that they could take their reusable bags with them but the empty bags alone
would take up one trolley.  Those of you who live in rural areas would have
seen remote families doing their shopping.  They often have four or five
piled up trolleys.  If they happen to forget their reusable bags, they will
be up for an extra $50 dollars or so at $2 each.

The other matter is harder to solve.  If there was a way to ensure that
everyone cleaned and disinfected their bins at least weekly, as, I am sure,
all those on Birding-aus do, there would be no problem.  But until this
happens, some councils insist, on health grounds, that all rubbish is bagged
before it is placed in bins.  If we do not use bags from supermarkets, we
have to buy plastic bags anyway.

Some years ago,  plastic bags that broke down with sunlight were being
hailed as the answer.  I remember leaving one staked out in our back yard to
see what happened.  Within two weeks, it had started to break down.  Does
anyone know what happened to these bags?

Terry Pacey