birding-aus

North-west Qld Sightings

To: "Birding-Aus" <>, "Bill Jolly" <>, "Bob Forsyth" <>, "Ken Wells" <>, "Geoff Anderssen" <>
Subject: North-west Qld Sightings
From: "Marc Gardner" <>
Date: Mon, 12 May 2003 10:49:55 +1000
G'day All,

A brief visit to Lake Moondarra at Mt Isa on Sat 10.5.03 where a juvenile Koel was begging for food in a river gum. Soon its host - a White Plumed Honeyeater - came to feed it. Further along the road into Lake Moondarra, some finches were seen on the side of a road, further inspection revealled a trio of Painted Finches (2 males and 1 female) and a pair of Zebra Finches.  A Spinifex Pigeon flew from up the road to join the finches. On further inspection from where it came from, there were another 21 of them loafing on a small embankment.

The entrance to Lake Moondarra, there is a green mowed section where we saw Grey Fronted Honeyeaters, Diamond Doves, Weebills, Peaceful Doves and Variegated Fairy Wrens (race assimilis).  Further along and closer to the dam wall were Double Barred Finches, Red Winged Parrots, a Spotted Bowerbird, Zebra Finches and a Grey Shrike Thrush.

In Julia Creek, some Flock Bronzewings have been seen regularly (we almost ran over one as we travelled into Julia Creek too). A Spiney Cheeked Honeyeater paid a visit to our backyard yesterday too - albeit a breif visit before it was chased away by the resident gang of White Plumed Honeyeaters and Black Faced Woodswallows.

A trip to the Combo Waterhole on Monday 5.5.03 via Kynuna (along the Julia Creek-Kynuna Road) revealled a pair of Grey Falcons, a multitude of Nankeen Kestrels, Brown and Black Falcons, Crimson Chats, Zebra Finches, Budgerigars, 2 Emus, White Winged Fairy Wrens, Black Kites, big flocks of White Browed and Masked Woodswallows feeding on the ground in paddocks, Banded Lapwings, Flock Bronzewings, Brolgas and Bustards.  A Collared Sparrowhawk chasing flocks of budgies at the Waterhole, Jacky Winters, Whistling Kite, Spotted Harrier, Diamond and Peaceful Doves, White Winged Trillers as well as large flocks of White Browed and Masked Woodswallows were also seen (along with ubiquities - Galahs, Willie Wagtails, more bl*#dy Black Kites, Black Faced Cuckoo-shrikes, Magpies, Pied Butcherbirds and Crested Pigeons).  A party of about 30 Zebra Finches were seen with a lot of immatures amongst them, as we approached the bush they were in we startled a feral cat probably trying to catch some Zebs.

Marc Gardner
Julia Creek