birding-aus

Fine words from vicki Powys

To: Birding Aus <>
Subject: Fine words from vicki Powys
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Fri, 9 May 2003 18:59:58 -0700 (PDT)
G'day All,

I'm doing my best here to catch up on emails, entertain little ones plus write to a bird bander, more then likely more then one I hope?

I've just read the last email from Vicki Powys to thee BA list, fine words indeed.

Vicki wrote:

*My guess is that, perhaps driven by fire, land-clearing, or the
biological imperative to widen the gene pool, some birds would indeed move away from their original home territory and take up the songs of another area. The only way to prove that would be to somehow tag individual birds, which is probably not a good idea for the elusive lyrebirds given that there are so many other pressures on them, drought, feral cats, foxes etc.  (Local lyrebird populations at nearby Mt. Airly seem to have plumetted over the past ten years or so.)
Vicki could I also add "feathers pluckers" or a feather pluckers son weaken the gene pool?

One last point: Dean Portelli wrote:

Well, Penn I myself am a bander. And I ask you this question: do you think the above discussion required any thought on my part?
Cheers, Dean
Well Dean,
I've totally researched via thee ANU the word "thought" one definition of the many refers to use of the human brain? as in stop killing wild birds in the alleged name of science? seems a tad strange to this olde "Davis" clan lad that we weaken, as we do with present day tagging, thee gene pool of wild birds .... awful thought .... birds intelligence depleted?

Oh look here's comes my great friend and comedian "Don Jones" with over ninety little ones en tow. "Punch and Judy on next" hmm a punch line looms ... Hey Dean my local country butcher might help? brains on special this week, should I buy some for bird banders?

JAG takes another small group down to thee pier to show off the pelicans and all that fossick and feed on the very low tidal mud flats.

Toodlepip to all BB's ... where's that squintin Quinton got to grrr, she will be grrrr :^D>>>

Do you Yahoo!?