birding-aus

Corellas, Peregrine etc

To: "Birding Aus" <>
Subject: Corellas, Peregrine etc
From: "J & C Krohn" <>
Date: Tue, 6 May 2003 18:24:35 +1000
Folks,

Last evening in Glen Waverley a mob of Corellas flew through in full voice in pitch dark, at about 7:20 pm.  As far as I could tell by the calls most seemed to be Littles, but there were at least a handful of Long-billeds among them.  I would guess at least 40-50 birds in total.  They were audible for four or five minutes milling around.

At dawn this morning there was a Peregrine Falcon (male, I think, by the size) circling over the Steel Wharf at BHP Hastings (Western Port); with the red sun sitting on French Island, he belted over the gantry and snatched a Common Starling.  I saw him bend over the prey in his talons and apparently bite it, exactly in accordance with the books and the Cuppers' training films for falcons.  Towards midday there was a female Darter flying over Hastings township, and three Grey Shrike-thrushes foraging in saltmarsh immediately south of the town, next to Warrangine Creek.

I'll be keeping an eye on messages about the Werribee Oriental Pratincoles and Northern Shoveler for the rest of the week - might make a dash at the weekend if it seems still promising.  Would be a couple of nice ticks...

Regards,

    Jack