birding-aus

Beginning birding

Subject: Beginning birding
From: "jade welch" <>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 00:00:57 +1000

Jill,

Over the last two days i have seen a total of ten new species for my life list. Believe it or not i am proud to say this was in a local park in the middle of suburbia which has been replanted by the council. Two years ago and you would have seen only the introduced birds and a small number of common native birds in the park. One of the species which raised the blood pressure and excitement over the two days were a Male Mistletoebird while the other another species which was not expected at all did the same and this was a Buff-banded Rail. Along with this two of my favourites which i have seen on and off for a number of years at seperate locations are the Tawny Frogmouth and Eastern Whipbird which i have now discovered inhabit the park. As i am only 18 and starting out i have alot of excitement to gain from the new birds i see and i hope for many more years of excitment and learning. At present i am compiling a lis t of species i have seen in the park. So far so good with a total of 49 making it to the list. Mind you the park is quite big and on the Gold Coast. Please forgive the bad grammar and punctuation.

Yours Sincerely
Mr Jade Welch
Gold Coast,
Queensland