birding-aus

Claude Austin State Forest

Subject: Claude Austin State Forest
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 11:18:41 +1000
G'day all

I spent a few hours in the Claude Austin State Forest over Easter.  This is
a Yellow Gum/Stringybark woodland east of Balmoral and south of Rocklands
Reservoir in western Victoria.  42 species in all.  It seems to have good
numbers of some of
the species we are losing from our woodlands - Hooded Robins, Scarlet
Robins, Southern Whiteface and Speckled Warblers.  Also a good assortment
of honeyeaters, White-browed Babblers, White-winged Chough, Varied Sittella
etc.  I've only been here once before (late Dec 2002) but I reckon it will
be fantastic in spring when all the migrants are down and breeding is in
full swing.

Cheers

Steve