birding-aus

Swift Parrots at Bateau Bay NSW

To: <>
Subject: Swift Parrots at Bateau Bay NSW
From: "Alan Morris" <>
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 14:38:21 +1000
Hi Birders,
I have been watching Birding-aus to see the progress north of Melbourne of Swift Parrots but I think that Maryborough was as far north that they had been recorded. So you would all be please to know that on Sunday and Monday 20-21st April, I thought I heard in them in the trees around my house over the din of the many Musk Lorikeets that are present. On Tuesday 22nd April I had three views of a small flock of 8 Swift Parrots in the trees around Murray St Bateau Bay, and today while lunching with Anne on the front patio, 14 Swift Parrots landed in the Blackbutt Tree that is currently in flower, that hangs over our house. This is somewhat amazing but not unexpected because last year from 17 May-29 September, Swift Parrots were present in the trees around the house, with a maximum of 230 during June 2002!!

In and around Bateau Bay at present, both Swamp Mahogany and Blackbutt Trees are in flower, a planted Mugga Ironbark is flowering at the end of the street, and the Forest Red Gums are budding up and getting ready to flower. Prior to this there has been an above average flowering of Red Bloodwood that attracted many Little & Musk Lorikeets. The 110 mm of rain in March and 200 mm of rain so far this month here at Bateau Bay is ensuring a very pleasant autumn and will keep the trees flowering. Yellow-faced Honeyeaters, Silvereyes and Spotted Pardalotes have also arrived and are feeding on the nectar and lerps as well.

I hope that the Regent Honeyaters also get the message about our local food resources. Members of the Hunter Bird Obserers Club, attending the Easter camp at Munghorn Gap Nature Reserve near Mudgee were fortunate to see 5+ Regent Honeyeaters on the Moolarben Rd section of that Reserve! Hopefully other Regents have headed for the Central Coast!

Alan Morris
Central Coast Group, Birding NSW