birding-aus

More Glossy-blacks

To: <>
Subject: More Glossy-blacks
From: "jill dark" <>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 16:32:46 +1000
Hi All,

It's been a good week here at Hazelbrook in the Blue Mountains.  The
lyrebirds are back digging up the garden, although not singing much (we do
need more rain), Wonga Pigeons are always around and the Grey Currawongs are
visiting every morning.  The honeyeater migration is in full swing, mostly
Yellow-faced, just a few White-naped and an occasional flock of Silvereyes.
Mistletoebirds are around most days and Little Wattlebirds are checking out
the banksia flowers.  Lots of small residents, Variegated Fairy-wrens,
Yellow Robins, White-browed Scrubwrens etc. Yesterday morning I watched a
Crested Shrike-tit fossicking in a big Sydney Peppermint.  This is a bird we
only see here occasionally.

Today was the best day of all.  Three Glossy-black Cockatoos spent all day
feeding in the Allocasuarina littoralis I planted by our front gate. This is
a very unusual sighting.  We are lucky that this part of the mountains
remains unburnt - their normal feeding area is at Woodford and was severely
burnt the summer before last.

Jill Dark