birding-aus

Portland Pelagic

To: <>
Subject: Portland Pelagic
From: "Rob Farnes" <>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 22:20:40 +1000
PORTLAND PELAGIC 6 APRIL 2003

OBSERVERS: Rob Farnes (org.) Peter. Barrand, Peter Lansley, Alice Ewing,
Adam Rigg, Lee Milway, Rory O'Brien, Colin Rogers, Stuart Hull, Rod Bird,
John & Marilyn Berry.

WEATHER: Sunny day with some high cirrus cloud, easterly wind 12-15 kts
resulting in moderately choppy seas.

ACTIVITY: Sailed at 0710 h.  Heading due south of Lawrence Rocks (LR) at
13.7 nm  south of Portland in 65 fths we had one Common Diving-Petrel and a
group of 25+ White-faced Storm-Petrels on the water. We then continued south
arriving at the shelf at 0935 h. here we had two berleying stops close
together at Lat. 38 46 51 Long.141 36 65 and Lat. 38 47 41 Long. 141 38 40
(266 fths), water temperature was 17.2 degrees  C.  Highest number of
albatrosses were at the first stop ~60.  At 1345 h we turned back having a
brief stop at L. Rock on the way and docking at 1600 h.

MAMMALS: 1 Australian Fur Seal and 3 Blue Whales two on the way out and one
on the way back but not good views.

REPTILES 1 Leathery Turtle (Leatherback) Dermochelys coriacea  we had great
views as it swam on top of the water close to the boat inshore between  L.
Rock and Portland Harbour.  Fishermen off Portland occasionally report
seeing this species.

BIRDS:
19 species recorded outside Portland harbour.  Bird numbers over the shelf
(pelagic) in brackets.

Common Diving-Petrel 1 offshore.
Great-winged Petrel (10).
Fairy Prion 8 offshore, (15).
Flesh-footed Shearwater (1).
Short-tailed Shearwater 2 offshore, (15).
Fluttering Shearwater ~40 inshore, 5 off shore, (1).
Black-browed Albatross 4 offshore, (46) both races.
Shy Albatross (26).
Yellow-nosed Albatross (5).
Bullers Albatross (3).
Wilson's Storm-Petrel (5).
White-faced Storm-Petrel 46 offshore, (7).
Australasian Gannet 1,000's (LR), (5).
Black-faced Cormorant 15 (LR).
White-faced Heron 2 (LR).
Great Skua (1) distant chasing a tern.