birding-aus

Bird Hides ... more then one viewpoint

Subject: Bird Hides ... more then one viewpoint
From: Penn Gwynne <>
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 16:55:27 -0800 (PST)

Alan Morris wrote: Hi Birdo?s,

I would like to ginger up the debate on bird hides and so ask the question, is the proposed bird hide necessary at all? This question must be asked in the beginning when one is proposing to install a hide, because in many places that I have been to where hides have been built, I have been able to see all the birds without going into the hide!

G?day Alan and all, this is a fine question to ask and debate BUT what about thee disabled birdo? Of which there is a growing worldwide army? What about the reduction in the trampling down by human feet and wheelchair tyres of a pristine bird location/site, due to steerage of the Birdo?s/Chicko?s to thee well-constructed bird hide? much better to have less enviro damage done by trampling of the bush eh?

There are some areas where a hide is useful, like in cold and wet climates (like Melbourne in winter?) or where a lot of effort has been made to totally screen the people entering the hide, but in the majority of cases in Australia, possibly because hunting birds is not a major issue, the birds are not to worried about human approaches.

But Alan, many birds are flighty and therefore where thee concealment of disabled Birdo?s/Chicko?s is afforded then viewing of wild birds by a disabled person becomes easier? Would you not agree? If only by the squeaky wheels factor, odd that these wheels always mimic Eastern Rosella?s? :^D>>>

Certainly unless the bird hide is in a secure place, it will be subject to vandalism, and having a hide for which access is via a key available from a local shop 3 afternoons a week or whatever is a waste of time.

Why? And how do we overcome the vandalism problem? Internet cameras? Or even more clever motion activated cameras perhaps, or the easy way, greater utilisation of the bird hide by Birdo?s/Chicko?s, I?ve been tempted to coin the phrase Chicko?s. My aim in life, and that of many others, is increasing that usage factor, hopefully by many younger then you or I. A silly olde JAG dream? No longer though do I think it?s merely a dream.

There may be some value in constructing viewing areas that have a cover to provide shade for birders but not a full hide.

Why? Life in a wheelchair is uncomfortable at the best of times! Can we not therefore afford to make it somewhat more comfortable for the disabled Birdo/Chicko?

I believe that too many authorities, particularly local government, are happy to build hides at great cost, rather than spend the money managing the environment and controlling the foxes and the weeds and enhancing the wildlife values.

Let alone feral cats? Surely Alan if a bird hide is soundly constructed from bricks and mortar it can also be used to employ humans and make sales of many bird related items? Such as oil paintings by local artists, perhaps local bird art paintings instead of those dull, dreary and sad prospective "Archibald prize" faces. The only happy face I can see on this years mob is on the face of Mr. Twizzle.

It is easy to see the results of your funds in bricks and mortar (especially if the hide is named after some local hero) rather than to see that the wildlife habitat has been enhanced.

If Alan, a swish bird hide was constructed in New South Wales say, and at a well bird frequented location. Then later it was named thee "Cere Alan Morris hide" would not the name on it?s own generate visitors? Those visitors could then be asked to make a donation of whatever they could afford? The funds then raised could be used to assist habitat enhancement, could it not? This would be on an ongoing basis.

I for one am generally opposed to bird hides and would rather see the funds spent on enhancing the local wildlife habitats. So Debbie Colbourne consider my view too! Alan Morris

Same here please Debbie! But I am pro, naturally air cooled, bird hides of bricks and mortar, built with permaculture values uppermost, that function as more then a bird hide. Art galleries, and peaceful medico conference centres immediately spring to mind but I?m sure many other uses could be thought of? Especially from this thee world?s best email list.

Kindest peaceful regards, John A. Gamblin (wanders off to buy some ginger for a home made cake making contest) thanks for the reminder cobber.

 Penelope Drake-Brockman <> wrote:

I would strongly support Alan in his comments below. We visited a hide at a bird lake in South Eyre Peninsular, SA, last September. It was facing over a huge sheet of water studded with various water fowl, all of which could be easily seen from walking around the lake.

Perhaps the thought with bird hides is to try and stop people, even long in the tooth olde birdo's like me from treading on a well disguised birds nest with eggs in it? just a silly olde JAG thought eh?

I totally agree with Penny's words re: encourage authorities to maintain the habitat well, use vegetation as screens in suitable places and perhaps put in a few seats in the shade.

BCC to disabled birdo's UK email list.

Do you Yahoo!?