birding-aus

Little Bittern Maitland NSW

To: <>
Subject: Little Bittern Maitland NSW
From: "Lynn Jenkin" <>
Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2003 19:39:23 +1100
Hi all

Forgot to mention in the last message on Lake Macquarie Birding Routes that I also had great views of a very handsome Grey Goshawk at Glenrock as well.

Went to Walka Water Works again today ( near Maitland , NSW ) and found the Little Bittern in the same inlet as last time back in January. It was very cryptic and in the frozen posture the whole time I watched it. I first saw it looking out from just inside the reed line where it stayed frozen for around 10 minutes. Then it ever so slowly turned its head and then body around and melted back into the reeds. Today was one of the only times I have been to Walka without seeing any Crakes or Rails even though there are still plenty of muddy margins exposed.

Other highlights included :

All 4 local Egret species
     3 Grebe Species
     Musk Duck
     Little Grassbird
     White throated Gerygone
     Golden & Rufous Whistlers
     Rufous Fantail

I stopped at Bolwarra ( between Maitland & Dungog ) on the way home and added :

Latham's Snipe
Blue-faced Honeyeater

Also saw 6 separate Wedgetailed Eagles today , 1 at Walka ,3 together on the way home and two at home.
Around 80 species seen for the morning.

Cheers

Dick Jenkin

DUNGOG NSW